There are many ways to consume coffee, especially with the new inventions most baristas are coming up with.
We will talk about the difference between a Frappuccino and a frappe that way; the readers can get a better understanding of which drink to get when ordering at Starbucks or any other coffee shop.
There is no significant difference between the two, but it’s subtle enough to make them stand out. A frappe is a chilled beverage that is made using a blender; it does not have to contain coffee.
A frappe can be made from any type of milk and chocolate syrup, and ice; it doesn’t have to be fancy. A Frappuccino is a cappuccino made into a milkshake, using ice cream to get the desired texture.
Since Starbucks has trademarked the name “Frappuccino,” most stores will not call their drinks Frappuccino but will provide you with a similar drink. Frappuccino can be made in any flavor vanilla, chocolate, or caramel, but it needs to contain coffee for it to be called Frappuccino.
These frappes and frappuccinos are essentially caffeinated milkshakes and are most popular with teenagers and young people who are just beginning to discover the need for caffeine to carry them through the day.
Table of Contents
What is Frappe?
A “frappe” is a beverage made from any type of milk, flavoring, and ice blended. A frappé (pronounced frap-pay) is an iced beverage that has been shaken, blended, or beaten to produce a tasty, foamy, and refreshing drink. It is served cold, often with whipped cream and toppings.
You can add ice before or after beating the coffee and custom additives such as sugar, milk, vanilla, and sweet sauces. It depends on what you are shaking or blending it in: a shaker, frappé maker, or blender. An ice-crushing blender is better than a shaker for blending a frappé.
What is a Frappuccino?
A Frappuccino is usually a cappuccino mixed into a milkshake, ideally blended with ice cream. Frappuccino is very similar to a frappe, but has more flavor and traditionally has coffee in the drink.
If you are not calorie-conscious, then a Frappuccino could be a fantastic option for you. You can also get a Frappuccino without the ice cream.
However, it will not be as tasty as the traditional Frappuccino made by Starbucks.
Differences Between Frappe And Frappuccino
The difference between Frappe and Frappuccino are as follows:
- Caffeine may or may not be present: A frappe is a cold coffee beverage. Sometimes frappe doesn’t need caffeine to be made, but people can request caffeine in their frappe.
- Additives: The taste of a frappe depends on what additives a person puts in. The additives include sugar, milk, vanilla, and sweet sauces.
- Varieties: There are different varieties of frappe. One of the most popular is the mocha frappe that you can order at the fast-food chain restaurant McDonalds.
- Preparation: Frappuccino is made by combining flavors like caramel or chocolate, ice, and coffee.
- Starbucks: The name frappuccino is trademarked by Starbucks
- Flavors: There are different frappuccino flavors, the two most popular being mocha and vanilla.
- Alternative Of Frappuccino: If you want to have a hot coffee alternative to frappuccino, then you should get a cappuccino, a hot beverage that is similar to a frappuccino.
These are the differences between a frappe and a frappuccino. On the other hand, there are some similarities between these two. Both drinks are iced drinks of coffee and both drinks are sweet.
Similarities Between Frappe And Frappuccino
We have established the difference between a Frappe and a Frappuccino. Let us now look at their similarities. What makes them similar and confusing apart from their closely pronounced names?
- Blend Ice / Add Ice: To start, both drinks are iced drinks; at some point when making the drinks, you will either blend ice or add ice to the drink. Their iced nature makes them favorable for the summer period.
- Brings Cooling Effect: Both Frappe and Frappuccino are best for the summer season. They bring a cooling effect and a kick of energy as well.
- Flavors: In addition, the drinks are similar depending on the flavor, which leads to the common use of milk, coffee, and water.
- Large Drinks: Other than that, both drinks are considered large drinks; the Frappuccino is 12oz/355ml and the Frappe around 300ml/10oz.
Frappe VS Frappuccino – Preperation
How to make a Frappe?
To make a frappe, it’s effortless, and all you will need is some simple ingredients.
We will give you a recipe for a basic frappe that you can make at home, but feel free to spice things up.
- Get half a cup of ice, chocolate syrup, and milk (any)
- Add ice to your blender.
- Add half a cup of milk.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of chocolate syrup.
- Blend until mixed well
You can also add a shot of espresso or different flavoring to your beverage.
How To Make Frappuccino?
There are two different recipes, one will have ice cream, and the other method won’t.
Frappuccino recipe (with ice cream)
- Take 250 ML of vanilla ice cream and a half cup of ice, blend them.
- Add 8 ounces of cold brew coffee and sweater to the blender.
- Blend again until everything is mixed well.
- Serve with whipped cream, if you would like.
Frappuccino recipe (without ice cream)
- Add a shot of espresso and 125 ML milk to the blender, and blend.
- Add a small dash of vanilla extract with some sweeteners (optional) and blend once again.
- Add half a cup of ice, and blend once more.
- Serve with whipped cream.
A basic Frappuccino consists of vanilla flavoring and coffee, but you are more than welcome to try different ice cream flavors or extracts. You are also welcome to add more ice or less ice, depending on the consistency.
The recipes we have provided you with are your canvas feel free to play with it and make it your own.
Frappe VS Frappuccino – Health Risks
Overindulging in Frappe or Frappuccino exposes you to many health risks. Some of them are as follows:
- High Blood Pressure: Both drinks are sweet drinks with a keen look at the Frappuccino that has high sugar content and many calories. As such, over-drinking the Frappuccino increases the chances of high blood pressure.
- Heart Diseases: Also, a high sugar diet stimulates your liver to deposit harmful fats into your bloodstream. Both conditions may eventually lead to heart diseases.
- High Caffeine Content: Moreover, since both drinks contain a certain level of caffeine, the caffeine content works into your bloodstream and into your brain where it interferes with the function of the adenosine receptors.
The adenosine receptors control your brain activity. When you are awake, adenosine is produced, slowing down your brain activity. Eventually, your brain feels tired, fatigued, and causes sleepiness. When you are asleep, the levels of adenosine decrease, promoting wakefulness.
- Lack Of Sleep: Long-term consumption of caffeine interferes with the role of adenosine receptors causing a state of lack of sleep. Eventually, the brain adapts and produces more adenosine and you begin to need more caffeine to stay awake.
- Fatigue: If you try to quit your caffeine intake, you may experience withdrawal symptoms like fatigue due to reduced levels of caffeine in your system.
Therefore, it is recommended you take your Frappe, Frappuccino, or any other coffee drink in moderation to avoid addiction and the associated health risks.
Frappe Pros And Cons
Frappuccino Pros And Cons
To Sum Up
I hope you found what you were looking for here. Frappes and frappuccinos are very common coffee drinks, depending on where you’re from.
They’re great drinks on their own, but they are fairly different. Both are great for the summer. With frappe, the manufacturer can bring in its variations. It can be made with brewed or instant coffee and other flavors added. However, frappucino is only made and patented by Starbucks, a soft drink and coffee drink maker.